Thursday, November 7, 2013

Grid Placement: Day 11

Tonight is our last night in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit... I can't wait to share and go into greater detail about all the staff that has been taking care of Renn. They have truly become part of our family (three nurses came in and said goodbye to us with tears in their eyes); we couldn't have been more delighted with his care.

Tomorrow morning, Renn will be moved to the regular floor. We were released to go today (hello, ONE DAY AFTER brain surgery!), but they didn't have enough beds. Personally and downright selfishly, I am thrilled to be moved! People, this means that we get our own PRIVATE bathroom. Now that may be TMI, however, if you only understood what it's been like to leave my child, walk alllllll the way down the hall, use the restroom, come alllll the way back, recheck with security (no matter what time it was), and THEN get back to my room... MAYBE you wouldn't think I was selfish.

Renn is stoked about the PS3 and big TV in the room. Go figure.

He had a great day, today. The emotional rollercoaster continued, as the hubs and I did all we could to remember that this wasn't Renn. This steroid is bananas. The smallest of things would upset him so immensely, I couldn't even tell him I loved him more than once. I won't lie, the hubs and I were a bit disappointed. Maybe that was our fault for being overwhelmed with joy, last night. Maybe our expectations were too high. But the fact that Renn could still read, still function, and still complain? I vote it's still a win. He had his PICC line removed, and was able to stand up. That was ALL he wanted to do.

Renn had no seizures... Not even in his sleep (that I witnessed). So that means... Day 1, seizure FREE! We are rejoicing every milestone. And we're going to milk it as long as he breathes air. His face isn't swollen, either. He's already defying the odds! Yep, we're celebrating. We don't believe in jinxes.

Dr. Incredi-Surgeon came by and asked Renn if he could show him how to play Angry Birds. Renn's face, as usual, lit up. It lit up anyway when the good doctor came into the room. But to have that interpersonal connection... I just thanked God for him. We could have had any number of surgeons here. But we got him. No coincidence... Just God's love.

The doctor said Renn looked fantastic and he cleared him to wean off the steroid and move to the floor. We will be seeing him in two weeks for wound check, but basically, we said goodbye.

As the day went on, Renn slept... A LOT. I mean, this kid is tough, but he's not invincible. He wasn't. They had heard about our Jedi, and wanted to send their well wishes.

even on pain meds other than Tylenol. When he did wake, he had a big brown box waiting for him. As excited as he could be, given the state that he was in, he ripped open the box... It was from his classroom back at home. Holy. Moly. This momma could barely keep herself together. There were more hand-made cards than I could count. Star Wars books galore, including this AWESOME pop-up book that looked like a dream! Not to mention, Master Yoda... My goodness. His Kindergarten teacher included some goodies (and a note that made me cry like an infant), and another class from his school wrote many, many sweet cards. There was even another notebook filled with letter after letter from a school that was in another town

We wanted to send a BIG thank you to Mrs. Johnston and Room 1 for loving Renn so much and for spreading the word about his hospital stay! The words you all wrote, the depth at which you all went to give such a beautiful gift was astounding. Renn LOVED all the drawings! And when we get home, we are going to put them in a VERY special book, so we can look at them everyday. You made him so very, very happy. He can't wait to come back to school. Thank you, all!!!

Tonight, Renn sleeps with no grids. No PICC line. No 2hr Neuro checks. He fell asleep by 7pm, and really good sleep. Finally."
the last thing he said was, "Mommy, I'm going to get

You know what? He's probably right. If you guys could have seen what the EEG monitor looked like while he was sleeping, it would have made your heart hurt. I think, for the first time in years, our son had the most peaceful, solid sleep ever. I was both encouraged and devastated. No wonder he never slept well! His brain only got MORE active as he was sleeping. But now, now that wasn't going to be the case. Score 18,457 for surgery. ;)

I am in awe of how it feels to be on the other side of this. I have a hard time coming to terms with it, but I don't think our Jedi does. Granted, he's only six, but he still seems to understand how basic a need this surgery was. And that's something God kept trying to teach us. Something the hubs and I just felt was impossible. Yet, here we are. I feel like I'm in a much more sane Wonderland, but that we're still stuck there. I suppose it won't feel real until we get him home... which might be in a matter of three days max. MAX!

I'm off to cuddle with my near-wireless child... But know that this journey has inspired the Telles family to change in a major, major way. More details to come as we pray and prepare our hearts for what God has planned for us next. Just know that Epilepsy has made its mark on us. And we don't intend on forgetting that.

And the Lord will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong;
and you shall be like a watered garden,
like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.
Isaiah 58:11 


  1. What great news! We are so rejoicing with you and looking forward to having you back home. God is so good!

  2. YAYYYYYYY!!! *does happy dance* So AWESOME!!! :D